A Life of Learning: Brush Lettering



For an early birthday gift, my husband offered to pay for a year of Skillshare Premium, because he's wonderful like that. Seriously, nothing says "I love you" to a life enthusiast like the gift of free classes. I'd taken a few of the classes included in the free membership before, but the premium membership gives you unlimited access to all the premium classes as well. I was clicking "Enroll" for everything from "Food Photography: Capturing a Moment Worth Eating" to Seth Godin's "Modern Marketing Workshop". (Now if only I could pay for a year of free time to actually take the classes...Oooh, just saw a new knife skills class that might be fun. *click*)

One of the classes I was excited to take was Brush Lettering Made Simple, taught by Andrea Campos, an art director, hand letterer, and self-confessed type junkie. After a few attempts at freehand brush lettering following tutorials I found online, I realized I had no natural talent for it. I needed a structured class, with a teacher and assignments (yup, nerd through and through). So, pen in hand and head hung humbly, I was ready to learn.

One of the great things about Skillshare is that it encourages you to write about your progress as you work towards completing a project for the class. By posting your work online, you can get comments from others in the class, as well as the teacher. It's a good way to be accountable to someone, even it's just to the faceless Internet.

You're welcome to follow my progress through my Skillshare project page: The Life Enthusiastic: Brush Lettering for Beginners. I doubt my work will inspire you, but perhaps my grit and perseverance in the face of a clingy preschooler will, haha.




And if you want to take the class (or other ones like it), you can try Skillshare for free for a month using this referral link. Full disclosure, you may fall in love with it like I did and feel compelled to sign up for a paid membership; and if you do, I get a month for free. But would that be such a bad thing? *wink*

#learnersgottalearn, am I right?